Tuesday 21 May 2019

Prelude to a Holiday

We're off to Canada.  

My interest in Canada extends back to when I was around seven.  At that time I had two weekly comics - The Topper and The Beezer; one of these - and I can't remember which - featured a serialised story about the adventures of a Canadian trapper / hunter / explorer.  I can still remember the disappointment I felt when I told my Mum that when I grew up I wanted to visit unexplored Canada and she gently broke it to me that she didn't think that there WERE any regions of Canada left unexplored...

Having visited Toronto and Vancouver in the past, we decided to try some of the French-speaking parts, so this time are off to Montreal and Quebec City.

Our backs are packed - though not all will go to Canada - some are for the pre-holiday overnight stay near Heathrow:


We left around 13.00 and headed for the M1.  While we were heading down the motorway the sat-nav warned us that it was closed further south and we therefore diverted onto the A34 and then the M40. 

An otherwise straightforward journey and we arrived at the Bath Road Premier Inn around 15.30.

We rested for a while and then strolled down to The White Horse for dinner:


Dodgy-looking character ordering drinks and food:


After a chicken burger and scampi (both with chips), a stroll back to the hotel in the beautiful evening.  A brief stop in the integral Costa for a cup of tea and a cake and then to our room.

The view from our window:




Amanda seemed quite excited at the prospect of our holiday:


Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment