Wednesday 13 March 2019

Don McCullin Retrospective - Tate Britain - London

To Tate Britain for our second Don McCullin retrospective (the first was at the Barbican, many years ago):


A sneaky peek at the MI6 headquarters across the Thames:




Our destination:



McCullin's Nikon F4, which saved his life by stopping a bullet from a Khmer Rouge AK47 at  Prey Veng, east of Phnom Penh:


His helmet:


It is said that Vietnam was the first truly televised war.  During the Tet offensive I remember coming home from school and, day after day, seeing reports on the nightly news.  For years afterwards I had this, and several other, Sunday newspaper colour supplements in my 'scrapbook boxes'; I thought I still had them, but after returning from the exhibition I realised I must have culled them at some point in recent years:

Reviews:
A walk along the Embankment:



Nicky Morgan being interviewed by Simon Day in Parliament Square:




With this many black cabs parked up we realised that something was afoot - and so it proved.  Taxi drivers were blocking Parliament Square and some associated roads to demonstrate their opposition to proposals to restrict taxi access to certain roads in Central London:








Work on Elizabeth Tower continues:


 Call me a big kid, but I still get a kick out of seeing the Horseguards:



A late lunch / early dinner at Bill's in Soho:










No comments:

Post a Comment